Monday, April 13, 2009

I'm the Mommy, right?

Being a mommy is one of the greatest joys in the whole world! I personally feel that there is nothing better than looking in the eyes of that little person that I created and that I am molding. As a mommy, we have to tell our children, "don't do that" "don't touch that" "don't say that" "change your attitude" and so on..... Well, one thing that I also have to deal with as a parent is "who is the mommy" I have 3 kids, so they of course think that they have to boss each other around, or even that they have to boss Michael or me around. Well, what I want to imprint into my children, is that I am their mommy. They are not mine! Yes there is always room for correction in all of us, but what does it teach our children if we allow them to "tell us what to do"? They need to learn they I am their boss and they are not mine. Because if we allow them to tell us what to do, then all that teaches them is that they are the boss, so therefore, they do not have to obey us, but we have to obey them and their every command. I don't want that for my children. I desire better for them. I want them to grow up learning that they need to obey and respect their authority and that they are not the authority. If we allow them to tell us what to do and teach them that they don't have to listen then when they get older, they will believe that they don't follow God, and that their opinion is better than that of God. That is one of the worst things I could ever teach my children. I want them to learn to follow me and to follow God! It just hurts children when they think that they are the boss and that they are the authority. I know what is best for them, so I want my kids to know that, yes, mommy and the rest of the world makes mistakes, but that is for God to deal with not them. They need to learn to respect me and other adults and not think they are the "mommy". Children love and need boundaries, and if we don't give them that, then they will never learn to follow them.

Another point, my precious Kylie is so much like me! She is my mini me all the way around! She looks and acts JUST like me. Kylie, is so precious. She is so gorgeous! She has HUGE chocolate eyes that you can spot from a mile away. A smile that lights a room. Dark brown hair. She is so tiny and petite at a whopping 28 lbs at 3 yrs old. LOL! She has a personality that will make strangers enjoy her! But she is very feisty! Very sassy! And VERY stubborn. When she is happy, she is the happiest little kid ever, but when she is mad, she is maddest little kid ever. I am just the same. I can have the best and the worst attitude, and I too, am very stubborn. So we kinda clash. About a month ago, we were eating at Blue Moon. She started getting an attitude and being naughty, so I took her to the bathroom and had a talk with her. She is so impressionable. After our talk, I told her to smile, well she was being stubborn and wouldn't smile. So I kept talking to her and telling her to smile. She still wouldn't. So I then realized that I wasn't smiling. So I had a little conversation with myself. "Stephanie, you need to smile too. Show her you are happy!" "NO! I don't want to smile! I just really don't feel like smiling, she is being a booger and frustrating me" "Well how can you tell her to force herself to smile and be happy, if not even you will force yourself to smile and be happy?" So, I got over my stubborness, and put a smile on my face and in return I got to see her gorgeous smile! So although I do not want my children thinking they have authority over me, they can still teach me! Kylie is just like me so I realized that I know what she's thinking and in order to make her do something, I have to do what would work for me too!

Proverbs 13:24- Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

No comments: